2.09.2008

MWPRInsight: Example of Why Athletes Need Personal PR


Johnson, Winslow air grievances at Pro Bowl
USA Today

HONOLULU (AP) — Who says the Pro Bowl is all fun and games? Chad Johnson is unhappy about the silence of his teammates and Kellen Winslow is looking for a new contract.
Both are using the Pro Bowl as a forum for their grievances.

Johnson reiterated his unhappiness with the Cincinnati Bengals. The receiver is at his fifth Pro Bowl, after replacing New England's Randy Moss, and he wasn't looking at the surroundings as paradise. "All the voices talked for 16 weeks," Johnson said of Cincinnati's disappointing regular season. "I don't hear them now. Where you at? Now's the time to let it out. The only voice I hear is mine."

While that's not unusual with the loquacious Johnson, he wasn't smiling or joking around after the AFC practice. He was defending his self-promoting manner, although he admitted some of it didn't fit the Bengals' approach.

FIND MORE STORIES IN: Cleveland New England Pro Bowl TDs Johnson Cincinnati Bengals Randy Moss Browns Drew Rosenhaus Kellen Winslow Corona

"Consistently, I've done it," he said of his performances. "I haven't done it perfect, but consistently at a high level. I get out of line at times, but what great one doesn't? What great one doesn't get emotional? Find me a great one who hasn't done it like that and I'll be quiet." If Johnson is trying to orchestrate his exit from Cincinnati, it will be a difficult chore. He has four years remaining on his contract, worth $18.5 million, including a $3 million base for the 2008 season. Also still under contract is Browns tight end Winslow. In fact, Cleveland extended his deal even as Winslow was recuperating in 2005 from a serious motorcycle accident that cost him an entire season. Winslow breached his original six-year, $40 million rookie deal when he violated a "dangerous activities" clause while practicing motorcycle stunts in a parking lot. Although he lost close to $3 million in bonuses from that contract, he got an extension that allowed Winslow to recoup some of the money. He responded with Pro Bowl numbers, including 82 receptions for 1,106 yards and five TDs in 2007. With agent Drew Rosenhaus at his side Thursday, Winslow said he would be seeking a second opinion on his right knee, which might require surgery for the fourth time. Then he mentioned he hoped to get a new deal from the Browns. "I leave it up to Drew," said Winslow, who replaced Antonio Gates of San Diego for the game. "When I got hurt the contract got renegotiated so some things changed. But I think I've proven these past two years that I'm one of the elite tight ends. My value on the field ... they put an extra DB in the game, and that really changes the whole game. They have to guard me kind of like a wide receiver so, you know, yeah, I've got to get that new money."

After the laughter died down, Winslow added:

"This is my life, what I always wanted to do. My career didn't start out like I wanted it to with the injuries and all, and I started asking questions like, 'Why me, why'd I get hurt?' But without the struggle, there is no progress, and this is progress. I stayed positive, worked my butt off, and now I'm here.
"Anyone would want to be out here. It's like a Corona commercial."

Copyright 2008 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Johnson, Winslow air grievances at Pro Bowl - USATODAY.com

1 comment:

  1. An agent is hired to get the best contract deal for athletes and manage the "business".

    Unfortunately, many of them do not realize that part of the "business" involves a player's off-the-field actions. He (the player) is the brand for the team he is being paid top dollar to perform for and his own personal brand. For a player to have a successful "business" which includes future opportunities on and off-the-field, he must represent at all times. And, who better to help them in this area but a PR practitioner. But, more likely than not, an agent is not interested in bringing a PR person onto the internal team. It amazes me why they won't. It is the best investment they could make. It lengthens the player's brand, can enhance their likeability and help generate future earnings, if done correctly.

    And, the absence of it, can easily bring things to a sudden stop.

    I believe greed is a major factor, on the agent side, as well as fear of loosing their position. But, it should not be seen as Agent vs. PR, but Agent & PR....the best business practice for long-term success. You make the deal and let us PR folks write the scripts.

    But, maybe I am the only one who believes this can work. And, so, I continue to sit on the sideline, shaking my head in disgust.

    ReplyDelete